Log Out | Member Center

91°F

101°/74°

Memorial fund established for toddler killed in house fire

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013, at 2:21 p.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013, at 2:37 p.m.

A memorial fund has been established for Austyn Scott, the toddler who died in a house fire in southwest Wichita late last month.

Austyn, who was 18 months old, was asleep on a couch in the living room of the rental home in which he lived in the 1800 block of South Everett when an extension cord under the couch failed on the night of Aug. 28 and sparked a fire that quickly consumed the couch and gutted the living room, fire investigators have said.

His aunt and her two young children were able to escape the fire, which ignited while the occupants were asleep. There was no working smoke detector in the house, investigators have said.

Austyn’s grandparents set up the memorial fund in Colorado, where they live.

Donations to the Austyn Taylor Scott Memorial Fund can be sent to:

High Country Bank

7360 W Highway 50

Salida, CO 81201

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs