Log Out | Member Center



Two more arrested in April homicide in downtown Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, August 19, 2013, at 1:05 p.m.
  • Updated Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014, at 1:30 p.m.


Two more men have been arrested in connection with the shooting death of a man in April in downtown Wichita – bringing to six the number arrested in the case, authorities confirmed Monday.

Dennis O. Haynes III, 19, and Clifton D. Parks, 18, are being held in the Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder, records show.

Haynes was booked into jail early Saturday morning, and Parks was booked early Monday morning. Haynes is being held on a $500,000 bond.

During his first court appearance Monday afternoon, Haynes was charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, according to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office. His preliminary hearing is set for Sept. 4.

No bond had been set for Parks as of Monday afternoon, and he’s still awaiting his first appearance.

Three other men are scheduled for preliminary hearings this week on first-degree murder charges and a fourth pleaded guilty last week to second-degree murder and other charges.

Police have said three men knocked on the door of an apartment at 446 N. Emporia shortly after 9:30 p.m. on April 18 and were allowed inside. Police reports indicate someone in the house knew at least one of the three visitors.

Some sort of altercation erupted, police have said, and numerous shots were fired.

Ronald Betts, 33, was hit several times by gunfire and was pronounced dead a short time later at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis. Others were also shot in the altercation.

A 22-year-old man was hit in the leg and a 29-year-old woman was grazed on the arm by a bullet, police have said. The man left the house and went to a house in the 1600 block of South Spruce, where he called police.

He was taken to Wesley Medical Center for treatment and released, police have said. The woman grazed by a bullet was treated at the house on Emporia but did not require a trip to the hospital.

Four men – Kyle R. Beltz, 21; Kyler W. Carriker, 22; Lorenzo A. Spires, 20; and John E. Carter, 18 – have been charged in connection with Betts’ death.

Spires was initially charged with first-degree murder. Last Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, criminal possession of a firearm and attempted unlawful cultivation or distribution of a controlled substance, according to the to the DA’s Office. He is set for sentencing Dec. 2.

Carter, Beltz and Carriker are charged with first-degree murder, according to court records. Carter is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday; Beltz and Carriker are set for hearings on Thursday.

Carter and Beltz are being held in jail on $500,000 bonds, according to jail records. Carriker was released on a $500,000 bond in May, according to court records.

Beltz and Carriker were arrested the day after the murder, and Spires was arrested the next week. Carter was arrested June 20.

Police are not looking for any more suspects in the case, Lt. Todd Ojile said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs