Log Out | Member Center

39°F

53°/38°

US to scrap joint military exercise with Egypt

  • McClatchy Washington Bureau
  • Published Thursday, August 15, 2013, at 9:42 a.m.
  • Updated Thursday, August 15, 2013, at 10:01 a.m.

President Barack Obama said today he's told Egypt that the U.S. will cancel a bi-annual joint military exercise that had been scheduled for September — in response to a lethal crackdown by the Egyptian military.

"While we want to sustain our relationship with Egypt, our traditional cooperation can not continue as usual when civilains are being killed in the streets and rights are being rolled back," Obama said, speaking from his vacation on Martha's Vineyard.

He didn't outright mention the $1.3 billion in military aid that the U.S. provides the Egyptian government, but said that he's asked his national security team to "assess the implications of the actions taken by the interim government" and "further steps the US might take as necessary with respect to the US-Egyptian relationship."

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs