Log Out | Member Center



Landscape worker killed when car leaves road, hits him in southwest Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, July 29, 2013, at 5:25 p.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, July 30, 2013, at 5:14 p.m.

A 47-year-old landscape worker died after being struck by a vehicle in southwest Wichita at the onset of Monday’s evening commute.

At 4:55 p.m., police were dispatched to the accident on West Street just north of 29th Street South, Sgt. Jason Stephens said.

A 20-year-old was traveling north on West Street when the car left the road and struck a fire hydrant and the 47-year-old man, Stephens said.

No other injuries were reported. The cause of the accident was not immediately available Monday.

Stephens said the 47-year-old was doing “edging work on the side of the roadway” when he was hit.

Water rushed out of a hole from the dislodged fire hydrant during the hours following the accident, flooding the scene. The man’s body lay just outside the water’s reach, next to the vehicle.

Tammy Holt said she was one of the first people on the scene after the accident occurred. Holt, a certified medical assistant, said when she saw the man on the ground, she “bolted through the water to check for any breathing sounds.”

She said she and another woman were instructed by 911 to start performing CPR on the man.

“Every time she pushed down (on his chest), you could see the air go through him,” Holt said. “We probably made it through one round (30 compressions) before emergency crews showed up.”

But Holt’s efforts were too late. The man was pronounced dead shortly after emergency crews arrived.

“For anyone walking on the side of the roadway, it would be wise to be mindful of your surroundings and watch the traffic, and for people driving, the same thing,” Stephens said. “Make sure you’re aware of your surroundings and who’s on the side of the road.”

More information about the person killed in the incident and the 20-year-old driver was not immediately available.

The streets surrounding the accident were shut down for a few hours because of the police investigation and flooding caused by the damaged hydrant.

Reach Raymond Howze at 316-268-6514 or rhowze@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs