Log Out | Member Center

84°F

103°/74°

Many residents using Sedgwick County’s storm debris site

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, July 9, 2013, at 9:25 a.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, July 9, 2013, at 10:11 a.m.

A storm debris site Sedgwick County opened last week has taken almost 5,000 loads so far, commissioners said Tuesday.

“I think we did the right thing,” Commissioner Tim Norton said of the collection site on the east side of 63rd Street South and Meridian at the Big Ditch. “Meridian looks like a field of dreams. Every time I’ve been by there you see a constant queue of trucks.”

Norton said it would have cost homeowners a lot of money to take tree branches and brush to a landfill.

County officials said residents are not taking advantage of the site by dumping other items such as appliances and tires.

“It has not been abused. We have found one television set. That’s it,” public works director David Spears said.

Spears said the site will be open through at least July or for as long as it’s needed.

The county eventually will burn the storm debris.

Reach Deb Gruver at 316-268-6400 or dgruver@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @SGCountyDeb.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs