Log Out | Member Center



Dogs, cats die in south Wichita house fire

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, July 8, 2013, at 8:10 a.m.

Food left cooking on the stove ignited a small kitchen fire in south Wichita on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

Firefighters found the fire in the kitchen of the house at 1440 S. Hydraulic when they arrived at the scene at about 1:30 p.m., a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. The house is near Harry and I-135.

It took crews about an hour to put out the fire, the supervisor said. Five dogs and five cats died in the fire.

The Red Cross was called out to assist the two adults who live at the house. Fire officials at the scene estimated damage to be about $5,000.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job


Top jobs