Log Out | Member Center

61°F

72°/52°

Boy, 8, burned in accident when fire ignites gas can

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, July 4, 2013, at 5:10 p.m.

An 8-year-old who was lighting sticks on fire was burned on his right leg and abdomen Wednesday night, Wichita police say.

The accident in the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest, near Maize and Kellogg was initially reported to be fireworks-related but was not, Sgt. Steve Yarberry said Thursday.

Yarberry said the child’s grandmother said the boy was lighting sticks on fire, using them as a torch of sorts, when one of them fell into a two-gallon gas can and ignited, burning him.

Emergency personnel took the boy to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, where he was in fair condition Thursday.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs