Log Out | Member Center

88°F

98°/71°

Boy, 8, burned in accident near Kellogg, Maize Road

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, July 3, 2013, at 10:33 p.m.
  • Updated Thursday, July 4, 2013, at 3:41 p.m.

An 8-year-old boy suffered burns to his legs after a stray firework hit a gas can and splashed the ignited fuel onto his skin Wednesday evening.

Sedgwick County Emergency Medical Services Maj. Kevin Hartley said the boy was apparently outside but not lighting the fireworks when one struck the nearby gas can. Authorities responded to the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest, near Kellogg and Maize Road, after someone called 911 about 9:15 p.m. to report the boy had been burned, according to a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor.

The boy was rushed by ambulance to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, Hartley said. He reportedly has burns to about 10 percent of his body and was in critical condition Wednesday night.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs