Log Out | Member Center

77°F

83°/56°

No charges filed against Wichita State Final Four player accused of rape

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, May 31, 2013, at 1:32 p.m.

No charges will be filed against a player on Wichita State University’s Final Four basketball team who had been accused of rape, the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

“After reviewing the facts of the case, the applicable law and discussing the matter with the reporting party and her family, the decision has been made that no charges will be filed at this time,” District Attorney Marc Bennett said in a prepared statement. “Like any case, if additional information comes to light, the case can be reconsidered in the future.”

A 20-year-old woman told police she woke up while being raped at the residence of one of the former player’s teammates early on the morning of April 21. She said the incident occurred between 3:57 and 4:30 a.m. on that Sunday morning. She reported the alleged assault at 11:10 a.m. that day.

The woman agreed to be examined, and a sexual assault exam was performed. The accused player has used up his eligibility, police have previously stated.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs