Log Out | Member Center

70°F

72°/59°

Rape charges dropped against Haysville man

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, May 30, 2013, at 8:17 p.m.

Prosecutors on Thursday dismissed charges against a man who was charged with raping two young girls in his Haysville home last year.

Robert Contreras, 45, was later released from the Sedgwick County Jail, where he had been held on $500,000 bond since his arrest in November. He was scheduled to stand trial on the charges in June and faced a possible life prison sentence if convicted.

Defense lawyer Sarah Swain of Lawrence said the state’s case against Contreras was based entirely on the statements of two girls, ages 13 and 16, and she said she planned to use an expert in “structural forensic linguistic analysis” to show that the girl’s statements were false. A Sedgwick County judge last week ruled that taxpayers would not pay for the service after the director of the state’s Board of Indigent Services said the field was not recognized in Kansas courts.

Lawyers had been scheduled to argue about motions filed in the case on Friday.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs