Wichita police say a group of alleged shoplifters, including one who reportedly was armed, whose photos were posted Tuesday on the agency’s social media pages have been identified, thanks to phone calls from the public.
Messages from the department published on Facebook and Twitter late Wednesday morning thanked the public for their help in the month-old case. Police on Tuesday used social media to spur leads in the April 8 theft and aggravated assault in which a man wielding a handgun threatened two Wal-Mart security guards before fleeing the store with two other adults and a child.
No arrests had been made as of Wednesday afternoon, Wichita police Detective Chad Beard said. The case remains under investigation, he said.
The theft occurred around 10:20 p.m. on April 8 at the Wal-Mart at 6110 W. Kellogg Drive. According to police and a surveillance photo, a man wearing a gray shirt, black jacket and pants allegedly pulled the weapon after the guards confronted the group when they tried to leave the store with stolen merchandise. They then fled in a silver four-door Pontiac, according to police.
Among items stolen were men’s tennis shoes, a pocket knife and a pump action BB gun, according to a police report.