Log Out | Member Center

60°F

76°/58°

96-year-old woman burned in kitchen fire dies; funeral Tuesday

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, May 6, 2013, at 7:59 a.m.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday for the 96-year-old woman who was burned in a kitchen fire last week while making her daily cappuccino.

Esther Cohoon died on Friday, two days after the fire. Her robe came into contact with the natural gas burner on the range top in the kitchen of her home shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday in the 3100 block of North Wellington Place, authorities have said.

She suffered burns on her head, front and back. Her grandson was awakened by the smoke alarm at the house northwest of 29th and Broadway and found her in the kitchen. She was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis.

Cohoon’s funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, 3101 N. Coolidge. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Lakeview Funeral Home.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs