Log Out | Member Center



Defendant in Wichita beating death walks out on judge at sentencing

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, May 3, 2013, at 9:55 a.m.

Before the judge could finish reading details of Nelson Glover’s 13-year prison sentence for his role in a Wichita man’s beating death, Glover got angry.

Standing in shackles in the courtroom Friday morning, Glover shook his head and told Judge Joseph Bribiesca he didn’t want to listen to him anymore. Glover abruptly turned and left the courtroom, escorted by deputies.

The people in the District Court audience seemed stunned that a defendant would just walk out on a judge.

Only minutes earlier, Glover’s mother had asked for leniency, saying that although her 34-year-old son had made unwise choices, he was maturing.

Bribiesca sentenced Glover to 13 years for his part in the July 2011 beating death of John Tolliver, found dead in his home in the 1400 block of North Kansas. Police said Tolliver was beaten and choked to death in a dispute between Tolliver and an ex-girlfriend over ownership of a dog.

Glover had pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, robbery and aggravated burglary. The other defendant in the case, Samuel J. Sims, 42, pleaded guilty to the same charges and was sentenced earlier this year to about 15 years in prison.

In the courtroom Friday, Glover’s attorney, Terry Beall, tried to convince Bribiesca that Glover deserved a lesser sentence, even probation. Beall said Sims was the main aggressor in a killing that involved Sims’ girlfriend. Glover “was dragged into this situation,” Beall said. Beall pointed out that Glover had not had a felony conviction since 1999.

The prosecutor, Shannon Wilson, questioned the contention that Glover had been “dragged into” the killing, saying he was a “grown man … fully capable of making his own decision,” that “no one put him in that house but himself.”

“His footprint was found on the victim,” Wilson said.

Then Glover got his time to speak, and said he had regret, that he tried to stop the attack when the victim couldn’t defend himself. “I wish I could take it back.” He said he was being punished “for something I didn’t do.” He seemed to get emotional, and his voice caught as he asked the judge, “Give me a chance.”

Minutes later, he walked out on Bribiesca.

Reach Tim Potter at 316-268-6684 or tpotter@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs