Log Out | Member Center

68°F

91°/74°

Spilled gasoline, electric heater cause house fire that critically injured two

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, April 11, 2013, at 9:25 p.m.
  • Updated Sunday, July 6, 2014, at 7:14 a.m.

A combination of spilled gasoline and an electric space heater caused Thursday night’s house fire that sent two people to the hospital in critical condition, a Wichita fire officials said Friday.

Shortly after 7 p.m., two people were working on a gasoline-powered scooter in the attached garage of house in the 1500 block of Amsden, which is about half-mile south of Hydraulic and Pawnee. Vapors from some spilled gasoline were ignited by the space heater, fire investigator Donny Eckerman said.

The damage was estimated at $70,000 to the house and $25,000 to contents, fire officials said. Most of the fire was contained to the garage.

Both victims were taken by ambulance to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis. A firefighter also was taken to the hospital for treatment. No information was available on the victims. Two other occupants of the house declined treatment.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs