Log Out | Member Center



Don’t drive angry: Woman apprehended after high-speed chase

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Saturday, April 6, 2013, at 2:04 p.m.
  • Updated Saturday, April 6, 2013, at 3:39 p.m.

A 24-year-old woman sought by police after she allegedly threatened her ex-boyfriend with a knife and led officers on a high-speed chase through east Wichita is in custody, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor confirmed Saturday afternoon.

Officers apprehended the woman as she walked away from a two-vehicle accident reported at 12:33 p.m. Saturday at K-96 and Hillside, the dispatch supervisor said. Two people suffered minor injuries in the crash, which involved a white BMW SUV the woman used in a chase with police late Saturday morning, she said.

The string of events started around 3 a.m. after the woman threatened her ex-boyfriend with a knife in the 7400 block of East 24th Street, Wichita police Sgt. Bruce Watts said.

“Apparently we had an angry female who was angry about her ex-boyfriend who went to a club,” Watts said.

He gave this account:

The woman reportedly showed up at the house, entered uninvited and grabbed a kitchen knife. She then threatened to cut the ex-boyfriend’s throat.

The ex-boyfriend, in his 20s, ducked behind furniture as two others restrained her, took the knife and escorted her outside.

The trio in the house then left to eat at the IHOP on East Kellogg and found the house burglarized when they returned a short time later.

A chair from inside the house had been used to smash the ex-boyfriend’s car windows; the tires were also slashed.

Hours later, police received a call that the woman had showed up at her ex-boyfriend’s employer, Ribbit Computer, with a knife. When officers arrived around 10:30 a.m., they saw the woman toss alcohol containers into the parking lot and speed off in a white 2003 BMW X5 with KS tag 151 FBT.

Police pursued the woman eastbound on Douglas, where at Longford Lane, she caused an accident with another driver. She continued fleeing east to Webb, turned north, then turned onto 13th and west onto Rock Road.

Authorities called off the chase after she “went through an intersection over 70 mph against a red light,” Watts said. The woman’s speeds reached 80 to 100 mph.

“We thought it was probably time to call off the chase before she killed an innocent citizen,” he said.

Police took the woman into custody shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday after the wreck on K-96 and Hillside, the dispatch supervisor said.

Neither the ex-boyfriend nor the driver on Longford Lane was hurt in the caper, Watts said.

The woman was wanted on suspicion of multiple felonies in connection with Saturday’s events, he said.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job


Top jobs