Log Out | Member Center

61°F

76°/58°

Grease fire damages duplex in southeast Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, March 18, 2013, at 7:53 a.m.
  • Updated Monday, March 18, 2013, at 9:48 a.m.

Fire damaged a duplex in southeast Wichita late Sunday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported shortly before 9:30 p.m. at 4421 E. Bayley, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That is southwest of Lincoln and Oliver.

“The kitchen stove was being used to heat the residence and accidentally ignited a pan of grease,” Capt. Stuart Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Firefighters needed less than 20 minutes to put out the fire at the duplex, which records show was built in 1941. No injuries were reported.

Damage was set at $10,000 to the duplex and its contents, Bevis said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs