Log Out | Member Center

86°F

98°/71°

Firefighters douse blaze in Maize Court attic

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, March 15, 2013, at 9:42 p.m.

Quick response by firefighters on Friday saved the roof of a house and several antiques stored inside, Wichita fire investigations Lt. Troy Thissen said.

The fire in the 700 block of South Maize Court was confined to the attic above a second-story bathroom, causing about $20,000 to the home and $10,000 to its contents, Thissen said. The address is north of Kellogg and east of Maize Road.

“Crews made a great stop,” he added, “and protected a bunch of very valuable antiques inside.”

The flames and smoke was reported coming from the home at 6:12 p.m., a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. Thissen said an electrical issue sparked the fire, which was under control in about 30 minutes.

No injuries were reported. Authorities called the Red Cross to assist people displaced by the fire, Thissen said.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs