Log Out | Member Center

48°F

71°/41°

Woman injured during garage fire near Viola

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, March 12, 2013, at 10:37 p.m.

A woman suffered smoke inhalation during a detached garage fire Tuesday near Viola.

The fire started shortly after 1 p.m. at a rural Sedgwick County home at South 227th Street West and 111th, Sedgwick County fire Capt. Kip Hiebert said. A propane delivery truck driver “running on his route happened to drive by and happened to see the fire,” he said. Then someone called 911.

Fire units from Sedgwick County, Clearwater and Conway Springs responded to extinguish the blaze, which took nearly an hour, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said.

The woman — a resident of the property — was taken to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis with serious injuries from smoke inhalation, according to the dispatch supervisor.

The garage and its contents sustained about $75,000 in estimated damages, Hiebert said.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs