Log Out | Member Center

71°F

72°/41°

House fire in south Wichita displaces four

  • Published Tuesday, March 5, 2013, at 7:46 a.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, March 5, 2013, at 8:32 a.m.

Fire heavily damaged a house in south Wichita late Monday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported at about 10:20 p.m. at 2106 S. Broadway, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s south of Mount Vernon.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than half an hour. No injuries were reported, but the Red Cross was called out to assist one adult and three young children who lived there.

Wichita Fire Lt. Joe Evans said “an electrical issue within the attic” started the fire, which caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the house and its contents.

“Investigators on the scene reported heavy fire damage in the attic,” Evans said in an e-mail response to questions.

Red Cross spokesman James Williams said the woman and children were given a place to sleep, food and infant supplies. The children are a 5-year-old boy, a 5-year-old girl and a 10-month-old boy.

Records show the two-bedroom, one-bath house was built in 1925 and had an estimated property value of about $56,000. The fire left the house uninhabitable, Evans said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs