Log Out | Member Center



A handy list of resources you may not know about.

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013, at 11:23 a.m.


What: Sedgwick County Extension Service’s trained master gardener volunteers help home gardeners with information on planting and care of lawns and gardens.

Where: Sedgwick County Extension Service, 7001 W. 21st St.

More information: 316-660-0100

Hazardous waste

What: Sedgwick County residents can safely get rid of items such as paint, batteries, used oil, household cleaners, computers, gasoline, antifreeze, pesticides, herbicides and other chemical products at the county’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility. There’s also a “swap and shop” section where you can find free paint and other materials.

Where: 801 Stilwell, south of Kellogg off Seneca

When: 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.

More information: 316-660-7464


What: Information about illnesses and health-related recalls.

Where: On the Sedgwick County Health Department’s website, www.sedgwickcounty.org/healthdept. Click on the “What’s Happening Now?” link for information about recent diseases and viruses troubling area residents and also for information about recalls.

For more information: 316-660-7300.


What: Free monitoring of your home while you are on vacation by the Wichita Police Department.

More information: Fill out a form online at www.wichita.gov. Click on the “Vacation Monitor” link under the “Contact Us” menu on the left side of the home page

Lost pets

What: Wichita Animal Control picks up stray animals and holds animals brought in as strays.

Where: 3303 N. Hillside, next to the Kansas Humane Society

When: It is open 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Sunday

More information: 316-350-3360. You may search the daily list of animals that have been picked up by going to www.petharbor.com. You’ll need to enter your ZIP code or city name in the appropriate field and click the “Lost My Pet” search button. Then click the “dog,” “cat” or “other” button depending on what type of animal you are missing, next to the “Search Online” link. Then check the box next to “Wichita Animal Shelter” and click the “Use This Shelter List” button. You can narrow your search by breed, gender, age, size or main color. For best results, since someone may misidentify your pet’s breed, simply click “Search Now” and see all the animals.


What: Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas, an educational program that helps people with Medicare understand the system and their choices, including for supplemental insurance. One-on-one counseling is available as well as group counseling.

Where: Sedgwick County Extension Service, 7001 W. 21st St., or the Central Plains Area Agency on Aging, 2622 W. Central, Suite 500

More information: Call the Extension Service at 316-660-0100 or the Agency on Aging at 316-660-5132.


What: Information about your neighborhood, including construction projects, safety and environmental court cases. You can sign up for weekly updates by contacting your district’s neighborhood assistant.

Where: Information is by district. If you don’t know what district you’re in, go to www.wichita.gov to look at a map or call Neighborhood Services at 316-268-4351.

More information: Contact the assistants below.

•  District 1 (central and northeast Wichita) – LaShonda Garnes, Atwater Neighborhood City Hall, 2755 E. 19th St., 316-303-8018, lgarnes@wichita.gov

•  District 2 (east) – Megan Buckmaster, 455 N. Main, 316-268-4351, mbuckmaster@wichita.gov

•  District 3 (southeast) – Janet Johnson, Colvin Neighborhood City Hall, 2820 S. Roosevelt, 316-303-8029, JCJohnson@wichita.gov

•  District 4 (south and southwest) – Kelli Geier, Stanley-Aley Neighborhood City Hall, 1749 S. Martinson, 316-303-8008, KGeier@wichita.gov

•  District 5 (northwest) – Megan Buckmaster, 455 N. Main, 316-268-4351, mbuckmaster@wichita.gov

•  District 6 (central and central-west) – Terri Dozal, Evergreen Neighborhood City Hall, 2700 N. Woodland, 316-303-8042, TDozal@wichita.gov


What: Recycling options for items from ammunition to yard waste.

Where: Various drop-off sites and pickup services. Some charge a fee; others do not.

For more information: For a comprehensive list of recycling resources, visit www.sedgwickcounty.org. Go to the “Environmental Resources” page under the “Government” menu at the top of the county’s home page and then click the “Recycling” link.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs