It’s another snow day for most students in the Wichita area as districts across the metro area canceled classes for Friday because of weather and road conditions.
Wichita State University, Friends University, Newman University and two area community colleges – Butler and Cowley – will also not have classes Friday.
Wichita school officials announced shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday that schools and central offices would remain closed Friday. Some district leadership and other employees, including those assigned to snow removal crews, will work as scheduled.
Wichita City League varsity basketball games rescheduled from Thursday to Friday will proceed, officials said. Wrestling and bowling activities will continue with schedule modifications. For details, see the district’s website for additional details: www.athletics.usd259.org.
Status of other events or entities:
• McConnell Air Force Base will resume regular activities Friday. All personnel should report for duty but no earlier than 7 a.m. unless otherwise notified.
• Advance voting centers in Sedgwick County will reopen at noon Friday and again from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. The Election Office at 510 N. Main will remain open Friday and until noon on Saturday. The primary election is Tuesday.
• Beechcraft Corp. will return to normal work schedules Friday.
• Tabor College in Hillsboro has canceled the following events on Friday and Saturday: Board of Directors meeting, the Lifelong Learning program, the President’s Dinner at Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church and the dedication of Harms Residence Hall. Many events will be rescheduled.
• McPherson College canceled classes for Friday but its offices will be open.
• U.S. Rep Tim Huelskamp’s town hall meetings scheduled for Friday in Larned, Jetmore and Ness City have been postponed and will be rescheduled.
• The Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficiency testing scheduled for Saturday at Emporia State University has been postponed until March 2.
• The Workforce Centers of South Central Kansas is closed Friday. Normal operations will resume at 8 a.m. Monday.