There will be no school Thursday for Wichita students and most school districts in the Wichita area.
Wichita district officials announced shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday that classes are canceled due to the anticipated weather conditions. District employees are not to report to work.
Nearly every district in the Wichita area also canceled school for Thursday. So did the Catholic schools in Wichita and Newman University.
Wichita City League basketball games scheduled for Thursday night are rescheduled for Friday. There will be a two-hour delay for all state wrestling events on Friday; student athletes involved in that competition will receive additional information from their coaches, officials said.
Other cancellations, postponements:
• The Andover Central High enrollment fair has been rescheduled for Monday, same time and location.
• Meadowlark Elementary parent-teacher conferences in Andover have been rescheduled for Feb. 28.
• Robert Martin Elementary parent-teacher conferences in Andover have been rescheduled for Tuesday. Parents should assume their conferences will be the same time as originally scheduled unless a teacher notifies them differently.
• The Maize district choir concert has been moved to Monday.
• Advance voting centers in Sedgwick County will be closed Thursday. The centers will reopen at noon Friday and again from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. The Election Office at 510 N. Main will remain open Thursday, Friday and until noon on Saturday. The primary election is Tuesday.
• KanCare meetings scheduled for Thursday in Hays, Atchison, Wichita and Emporia have been canceled.
• Sen. Jerry Morans Thursday visit to Derby and Wichita has been canceled.
• The Greater Wichita Economic Development Coalitions annual meeting has been postponed until Feb. 28 at the same time (11:30 a.m.) and same place (Hyatt Regency Wichita).
• All Cowley College campuses will be closed Thursday.
• The following Derby city facilities/services will be closed Thursday: City Hall, Welcome Center, Senior Center (all events and activities), Derby Dash public transportation and Municipal Court.
• American Red Cross Good Neighbor Nutrition meal sites and home-bound delivery services will be closed Thursday.
• McPherson College canceled classes for Thursday.
• The Auburn Hills Mens Golf Club kickoff meeting been rescheduled for Feb. 27 at 6:30 p.m. at the Auburn Clubhouse, 443 S. 135th St. West.
• Emporia State University has canceled classes for Thursday.
• The Nonprofit Chamber of Commerce canceled its forum Thursday night that was supposed to feature candidates for the Wichita school board and City Council. No makeup date has been set.
• The Wichita Catholic Diocese Chancery, 424 N. Broadway, is closed Thursday.
• Botanica will be closed Thursday.
• Wichita State University campuses are closed Thursday. Classes and activities are canceled except for those interviewing the vice president for academic affairs candidate. The womens basketball game with Evansville will go on as scheduled.
Contributing: Stan Finger, Amy Leiker and Rick Plumlee of The Eagle