Log Out | Member Center

47°F

53°/39°

Children were present in house during lottery party explosion, police say

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013, at 11:20 a.m.
  • Updated Wednesday, May 8, 2013, at 12:19 p.m.

Photos

Wichita police on Tuesday provided more information about an explosion Friday involving two brothers and illegal drugs used to celebrate a $75,000 lottery winning.

According to earlier reports from police, someone was trying to use butane to light bongs to inhale drugs; the butane vapor exploded when it reached a furnace pilot light. The explosion occurred while three adults and two children were in a duplex in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West.

On Tuesday, police Lt. Doug Nolte said that two girls, ages 10 and 6, who were in the home at the time of the explosion, were not injured. The children apparently remain with family members, Nolte said.

One of the two brothers reportedly celebrating the lottery win was taken to a hospital with second-degree burns on 10 percent of his body. He has been released from the hospital. He has not been arrested, Nolte said. Police arrested his 25-year-old brother on suspicion of drug possession, including methamphetamine and marijuana.

The children’s mother is the girlfriend of the brother who was burned, Nolte said.

Reach Tim Potter at 316-268-6684 or tpotter@wichitaeagle.com

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs