Log Out | Member Center

60°F

83°/60°

Fire heavily damages business in west Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013, at 8:04 a.m.
  • Updated Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013, at 12:07 p.m.

Fire so heavily damaged a west Wichita business late Wednesday afternoon that investigators say they can’t tell how it started.

The fire broke out at Hanna Heating and Air in the 200 block of North West Street at about 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. West Street was closed between Douglas and Second Street for a few hours as crews battled the fire.

“Due to the amount of fire damage and several potential ignition sources, we could not pinpoint an exact cause,” Fire Lt. Joe Evans said.

The fire started in the northeast quadrant of the building and caused $1 million damage to the structure and its contents, he said.

The blaze was reported extinguished just before 6 p.m., though a fire crew stayed on the scene through the night monitoring for hotspots.

West Street reopened for traffic in that area at 7:10 p.m., the dispatch supervisor said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs