Gov. Sam Brownback is proposing to:
• Merge the Kansas Department of Transportation and the toll-funded Kansas Turnpike Authority.
• Allow legislators, not courts, to decide how much money should be spent on K-12 education.
• Keep the sales tax rate at its current level. It is set to drop from 6.3 percent to 5.7 percent July 1.
• Further reduce state income tax rates to 1.9 percent on lower-income working families and 3.5 percent on top earners, with a goal of abolishing the state income tax.
• Change the way judges to the Supreme Court and the court of appeals are selected.
• Fund a new crime lab and law-enforcement training facility at Washburn University.
• Spend $12 million on programs to help struggling readers in elementary schools.
• Maintain stable funding for higher education.