Log Out | Member Center

69°F

70°/60°

Unattended cooking ignites house fire in north Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, Jan. 4, 2013, at 8:39 a.m.

A teenage boy became so absorbed in his homework Thursday afternoon that he forgot about the food he was cooking on the stove, Wichita fire officials said.

The resulting fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage, Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The 13-year-old boy was able to quickly escape the house and was not hurt.

The blaze was reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. Thursday at 2523 E. Raleigh, which is near 25th Street North and Grove.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs