Log Out | Member Center



House fire displaces three people near 17th, Hillside

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013, at 7:49 a.m.
  • Updated Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013, at 12:12 p.m.

Three people were displaced when fire broke out at a house southwest of Wichita State University on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The fire was reported just after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at 1730 N. Chautauqua, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s just southwest of 17th and Hillside.

The three residents of the house — a 47-year-old man and two women who are both 52 — were not injured in the fire, but the Red Cross was called out to assist them. Red Cross spokesman James Williams said lodging is being provided for three nights, and the Red Cross is also providing food, clothing and seasonal garments for the three victims.

An investigation revealed the fire started due to someone smoking in bed, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. Damage to the house and its contents was set at $40,000.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs