Log Out | Member Center



Three found shot to death in home on North Ash

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012, at 2:08 p.m.
  • Updated Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012, at 9:11 p.m.

Police talk about three bodies found in home on north Ash

Click here to see the video in full screen or to e-mail to a friend.

Police on Saturday released few details in the shooting deaths of three people found inside a home in the 300 block of North Ash.

Wichita police Capt. Hassan Ramzah said a 47-year-old man found two men and a woman dead inside the house, at 337 N. Ash, and called 911 shortly after noon Saturday. When officers arrived, they found the trio, who had been shot to death, on an upper floor of the residence, he said.

Police said a weapon was found at the scene, but it is unknown whether it was used in the killings.

The victims’ ages and identities have not yet been released by police.

“It appears to be some type of disturbance may have occurred inside the residence sometime earlier in the day,” Ramzah said at the scene early Saturday afternoon. He added that the investigation was in its early stages and police don’t know yet what happened.

“Right now we’re looking into everything at this point to make that determination,” Ramzah said.

Ramzah called the house a “multi-residential unit” and said people lived both upstairs and downstairs. He said the 47-year-old man who found the bodies does not live in the house but is acquainted with one of its residents.

The house is tucked in a quiet neighborhood just northwest of the intersection of Grove and Second streets. Residents said an elderly couple and their adult grandson lived in the home, which is adorned with wind chimes on the front porch and yard statuary.

One neighbor, Shawnna Barr, said a fourth person also resides there. Neighbors think he rented a room from the elderly couple; they said the man was taken from the scene by police but not in handcuffs.

Police on Saturday said they did not have any information on possible suspects. They were still questioning other people who live in the house and others who may know what happened.

“I couldn’t even believe that,” Barr said after hearing of the deaths.

Jeff Hale, who lived across the street from 337 N. Ash, said he was “kind of shocked.”

“I didn’t think something like that would happen over there,” he said.

Saturday afternoon, some residents paced near their homes, awaiting details from police. Others made phone calls to people who knew the grandson.

Diedre Coats arrived mid-afternoon after a neighbor called her. Coats said she sent a Facebook message to the grandson Friday to wish him a happy birthday. She was unsure whether he had responded.

“We are shocked,” she said.

Throughout the day, multiple police cars and officers were on the scene, including Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams.

By late afternoon, crime scene investigators entered a door on the south side of the house. Down the street a few children laughed and ran along a sidewalk.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs