Log Out | Member Center



Marine among two men killed in west Wichita crash

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Dec. 27, 2012, at 9:53 a.m.
  • Updated Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013, at 10:08 p.m.

A U.S. Marine lance corporal home on leave for Christmas was one of two young men killed in a single-car crash Thursday morning in west Wichita.

Thomas Krausch described his son, Devan, as outgoing, “just an all-around good kid” who was well-loved by his family and friends.

“It seemed like he would always be the one to help somebody else,” Thomas Krausch said. “He made his mom and I very proud.”

Wichita police say Devan M. Krausch, 22, was riding in a 2005 Chrysler 300 sedan with 21-year-old Marcus W. McClellan when the car struck a culvert beside 13th Street about 2:30 a.m. Thursday. The car became airborne and struck a power pole and utility lines at 13th and Liberty, near 135th Street West, Wichita police Capt. John Speer said.

The men were westbound on 13th Street at the time of the crash.

Krausch, who was thrown from the vehicle, died after being taken to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis.

McClellan died at the scene.

Both men were Wichita residents.

Thomas Krausch said his son, a 2008 Northwest High School graduate, was stationed at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif. He had been home for just a few days.

McClellan’s family did not immediately respond to The Eagle’s request for an interview Thursday night.

The 21-year-old had attended both Bishop Carroll High School and Bethel College, according to his Facebook page. McClellan also is listed as a member of the U.S. Army on the social networking site.

A small sticker that reads “Proud parents of an Army soldier” is fastened to the front door of his family’s Wichita home.

Devan Krausch leaves behind his father and his mother, Kimberly Krausch, two younger sisters and other family. He was engaged and has a baby due, his father said. The young couple planned to wed after the lance corporal returned from a deployment, scheduled for May.

Krausch joined the military after briefly attending Hutchinson Community College on a football scholarship, Thomas Krausch said.

Funeral services are pending.

Wichita police Lt. Joe Schroeder said Thursday that authorities think “alcohol and speed were contributing factors” in the crash. The investigation is ongoing.

At least one witness saw the car going at high speed before losing sight of it, then saw a flash from the power lines going down, Speer said. Power to the area was out for a while after the accident.

Contributing: Tim Potter of The Eagle

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs