Log Out | Member Center

53°F

78°/56°

Gas leak causes Gardiner Elementary to evacuate, cancel rest of school day

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012, at 12:32 p.m.
  • Updated Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012, at 5:04 p.m.

A gas leak Thursday morning at Gardiner Elementary, 1951 S. Laura, forced the building to be evacuated and then for school to be canceled for the rest of the day.

A gas smell was detected shortly before 11 a.m., so the school’s 550 students evacuated the building, Wichita school district spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.

The students were taken to nearby St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church, 1800 S. Washington, she added.

After it was determined it was going to take a while to repair the leak, school officials made the decision shortly before noon to cancel classes for the rest of the day. Wichita schools begin their winter break Friday and students don’t return until Jan. 3.

Students were fed lunch and given activities to do until their parents could pick them up, Arensman said.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs