Log Out | Member Center

78°F

79°/56°

Increased electrical demand igniting fires in older houses around Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012, at 5:36 p.m.

Wichita fire officials on Wednesday issued a warning to residents not to overload their home’s wiring – or it could lead to fires.

Two fires on Tuesday resulted from old wiring becoming overtaxed by space heaters, Capt. Stuart Bevis said.

The first was at about noon Tuesday at 2812 E. First St., near Erie between Hillside and Grove. The second was at 7 p.m. at 307 N. St. Paul, just north of Second and west of Meridian.

Both fires started in the attic next to wiring, Bevis said, and both fires caused about $10,000 in damage.

“People use space heaters” when the weather turns cold this time of year, he said. “They do a big draw” on a house’s electrical system.

In older houses, that wiring may not be able to handle it – especially if holiday lighting or cooking is added to the load. Breaker boxes are supposed to “trip” and shut off electricity if the load becomes too much.

“If it trips a second time, don’t go back and reset it,” Bevis said. “There’s something wrong.”

The house on East First was built in 1909, the dwelling on St. Paul in 1950.

Residents may hesitate to pay the cost of having an electrician check the wiring in their homes, Bevis said, but it’s bound to be much less than the damage caused by a house fire.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs