Correction: The Gordon Parks Academy student is suspected of battery but has not been charged. An earlier version of this story contained incorrect information.
A 14-year-old boy at Gordon Parks Academy in Wichita was suspended Monday and is suspected of battery against a school employee after allegedly putting hand sanitizer into a teachers water bottle, according to a police report.
Susan Arensman, a spokeswoman for the Wichita school district, said the incident happened last week.
A teacher took a drink from her water bottle and realized it tasted and smelled funny, Arensman said. The water bottle was near a bottle of hand sanitizer, she said.
According to the police report, the teacher felt ill and later visited a minor emergency center, where she was told she might experience diarrhea and stomach cramps. She returned to school the next day.
Arensman said school officials started investigating last week. On Monday, a witness came forward and the school was able to confirm what happened, she said in an e-mail. Officials called police, and the teacher told police she wanted to prosecute.
Wichita Police spokesman Lt. Doug Nolte said the student has not been arrested.
On Tuesday the student was suspended pending further disciplinary action, Arensman said.
Gordon Parks Academy is a K-8 school at 2201 E. 25th St.