Log Out | Member Center

72°F

80°/64°

Fire official: Garage fire in southeast Wichita was accidental

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, at 7:14 p.m.

A fire that destroyed a southeast Wichita family’s garage hours before Thanksgiving has been ruled accidental, according to the Wichita Fire Department’s investigations unit.

Fire investigator Mark Reibenspies on Saturday said what sparked the flames in the front section of the attached garage, however, remains undetermined.

He added that the explosion neighbors reported hearing likely happened after the fire started — possibly from vehicles stored in the structure.

The fire started about 6 p.m. Wednesday in the 8800 block of East Hurst while six people — four adults and two children — were at the house, Wichita fire Battalion Chief Tom Carney said by phone that night. The address is south of Pawnee and east of Rock Road.

The flames were mostly contained in the garage and caused about $80,000 in damage.

Everyone, including a trapped dog rescued by firefighters, escaped unharmed.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs