Log Out | Member Center



Blast beats Wings 15-8

  • Eagle correspondent
  • Published Friday, Nov. 23, 2012, at 11:03 p.m.
  • Updated Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, at 7:21 a.m.

— The result of Friday’s game came down to mistakes that helped the Baltimore Blast defeat the Wings 15-8 at Hartman Arena.

“We gave it a good effort but a couple of critical mistakes at key moments of the game ended up costing us the game,” Wichita coach LeBaron Holliman said. “That’s why Baltimore’s 6-0, because they are a very good side that will punish you for the mistakes that you make.”

After Baltimore scored a quick goal in the first quarter, Wichita tied it up when Chris Lemons sent a pass to the back post finding Frederico Moojen for a goal. Wichita ended the first period with a one-man power play and a lot of offensive pressure, but that momentum was short-lived in the second quarter.

Baltimore scored three goals to take an 8-2 lead heading into halftime.

“At halftime we talked about, ‘Listen, if we’re going to play them, we’ve got to defend better. We’ve got to defend with intensity, we’ve got to defend to deny them space, we’ve got to defend with an urgency that we didn’t show in the first half,’ ” Holliman said.

Wichita started the third quarter with a strong defensive effort. The Wings held Baltimore tot wo shots in the period. With 47 seconds remaining, Wichita’s Tiguinho restarted the ball and sent it to Moojen at the top of the penalty arc for a shot and a goal.

Wichita’s momentum carried over into the fourth quarter, and only 13 seconds into the period Bryan Perez scored. Baltimore answered less than a minute later, then nine seconds later Andrew Hoxie scored for Wichita, cutting Baltimore’s lead to 10-8.

“Once we figured out the things that we’ve been working on, we could actually do them and actually did them, good things happened from it,” Holliman said. “It was just a matter of us having the belief in what we’ve been working on and actually going out and doing it.”

Wings errors helped Baltimore score a three-point goal after a deflection from Wichita goalkeeper Sanaldo Carvalho. Baltimore took advantage of a three-on-one situation to seal its win with 6:23 remaining in the game.

“We were right there, we were one goal behind them, and in a split second, a little mistake, and the guy scored a three-pointer,” Moojen said. “That just shot us in the heart, but after that we tried to keep going.”

With four minutes remaining Wichita pulled Carvalho for an extra attacker, but couldn’t close the gap.

“Whenever you have that momentum and one lapse of concentration and they score a goal, it’s deflating,” Wichita’s Kevin Ten Eyck said. “They score that goal, and the crowd’s out of it, our heads drop and we go down five points, it’s discouraging. But we needed to show a little more animosity to come back and tie the game back up or even go ahead.”


First quarter—Baltimore, Healey (Neto), 2:18; Wichita, Moojen (Lemons), 8:51. Penalties—Baltimore, Dontatelli (tripping), 8:32; Baltimore, Dos Santos (head butting), 13:03.

Second quarter—Baltimore, Ferdinand (Millwood), 3:01; Baltimore, Millwood (Ferdinand), 5:06; Baltimore, Deasel (Neto), 10:48.

Third quarter—Wichita, Moojen (Tiguinho), 14:13.

Fourth quarter—Wichita, Perez (unassisted), 0:13; Baltimore, Millwood (Ferdinand), 1:05; Wichita, Hoxie (Lemons), 1:14; Baltimore, Lookingland (3-pt), 4:19; Baltimore, Dontatelli (Ferdinand), 8:37.

Shots—Baltimore 3-4-2-4—13; Wichita 4-3-3-5—15.

Goalies—Baltimore, Vanzela 11 on 15 shots; Wichita, Carvalho 6 on 13 shots.


Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs