Log Out | Member Center

67°F

81°/56°

Kitchen fire causes $30,000 in damage to Wichita apartment

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012, at 12:11 a.m.

A southwest Wichita apartment sustained $30,000 in damage Tuesday when a stovetop burner and skillet caught fire, a Wichita fire investigator said.

No one realized the knob on the burner was flipped on when electricity was restored Tuesday to one of the units in a triplex at 1512 S. Meridian, near Harry, Lt. Joe Evans said. When the electricity was turned on, a skillet left sitting atop the burner heated, causing nearby cabinetry and the stove to catch fire about 2:30 p.m.

The apartment’s occupant was moving out, and the power had been off for several weeks, Evans said.

The fire was contained in the single unit. The loss is estimated at $25,000 to the building and $5,000 to contents, he said.

Investigators ruled the fire an accident, Evans said. No one was hurt.

The American Red Cross was called to assist all of the triplex’s residents, who were displaced after electricity was turned off to the building Tuesday afternoon, he said.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs