Log Out | Member Center

55°F

78°/56°

Fire heavily damages elderly couple’s home in north Wichita

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012, at 8:33 a.m.

Two elderly occupants escaped injury when their house caught fire near North High School early Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 1:20 p.m. at 1618 N. Jackson, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. That is north of 13th Street and just west of Waco.

The residents of the house discovered the fire on the front porch, then closed the front door and made their way to the back door to escape, Bevis said. Neighbors also noticed the flames and went to the house to help the residents escape.

“Crews did a good job getting the fire under control, but the high winds drove the fire through the home,” Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Damage was set at $80,000 to the house and its contents, he said. The fire was likely started by a cigarette discarded on the front porch.

The Red Cross was notified to provide assistance to the couple that lived in the home, Bevis said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com or consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Wichita Eagle.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs