Log Out | Member Center



Got questions about voting? We’ve got answers

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2012, at 9:25 p.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, August 27, 2013, at 9:38 a.m.


To learn about the candidates

Online now

Enter your address and pull up the races you’ll be voting on in The Eagle’s online voters guide at Kansas.com/politics. You can complete a sample ballot to take to the polls.

Coming Sunday

Look for a 12-page special section on candidates for Congress, the Statehouse and County Commission, plus more information about ballot issues, including Wichita’s water fluoridation vote.

Tabitha Lehman is prepping for a good turnout for the Nov. 6 general election.

“We’re looking good to have a large turnout, so we’re excited about that,” Sedgwick County’s election commissioner said. “I’m kind of expecting around 70 percent.”

About 272,000 people are registered to vote in Sedgwick County. Turnout for the 2008 presidential election was nearly 75 percent in the county.

A lot is at stake in this election. Voters will choose a president and a new sheriff, as well as state legislators. Wichita voters also will decide whether to fluoridate the city’s drinking water.

Advance balloting by mail began last week. As of Tuesday afternoon, Lehman’s office had sent out more than 71,000 advance mail-in ballots and had received just shy of 11,000.

Advance voting in person begins Wednesday in Sedgwick County at the election office on the first floor of the historic courthouse at 510 N. Main in Wichita. You may vote there from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day the rest of this week and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 29 to Nov. 2.

Here is other information that might help you vote:

Where can I see a sample ballot? Go to www.voteks.org. You will need to input your name and date of birth. You can also build your own sample ballot by going to The Eagle’s online voter guide at www.kansas.com/politics and punching in your address to see information on the races you can vote on.

Where do I vote?

This week, you can vote in person only at the election office. Beginning next Tuesday, you can vote at sites across the county. The list is lower in this story. If you wait to vote until Nov. 6, you must vote at your assigned polling place. To find your assigned site, go to https://myvoteinfo.voteks.org.

What should I take to the polls? Take your government-issued photo ID.

What counts as a proper ID? A driver’s license or ID card issued by Kansas or another state, a U.S. passport, a student ID card from an accredited post-secondary educational institution in Kansas, a military ID, an employee badge or ID document issued by a government office, a concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or by another state or a public assistance ID card used by a government office.

What if I have questions about voting?

Call the Sedgwick County Election Office at 316-660-7100.

Can I vote on the fluoridation issue if I live outside of Wichita? No. Although the water you drink may be purchased from Wichita, only people who live in the city limits can vote on whether or not to fluoridate Wichita’s water supply.

Can I still get a mail-in ballot? Yes. Get an advance voting application from the election office, online at www.sedgwickcounty.org/elections, or at most area Dillons stores. Fill it out and fax or mail it to the election office. Advance ballots will be mailed to those who apply. The last day the office will mail out advance ballots is Nov. 2.

When do I need to return my mail-in ballot? Advance ballots are due to the election office by 7 p.m. on Election Day, Nov. 6.

I’m worried I didn’t sign the envelope on my advance mail-in ballot. What should I do?

Signing the envelope is required for your vote to count, so if you think you might not have signed it, call the election office at 316-660-7100 to see if your ballot was accepted. Or go to the office on the first floor of the historic courthouse at 510 N. Main in Wichita to sign it.

When does advance voting at other locations start? You may vote from noon to 7 p.m. Oct. 30, noon to 5 p.m. Oct. 31, noon to 7 p.m. Nov. 1 and 2 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 3 at these locations:

• Bel Aire City Building, 7651 E. Central Park in Bel Aire

• Center for Health and Wellness, 2707 E. 21st St. in Wichita

• Church of the Holy Spirit, 18218 W. Highway 54 in Goddard

• First United Methodist Church, 560 N. Park in Valley Center

• Grace Presbyterian Church, 5002 E. Douglas in Wichita

• Greenwich Road Church of Christ, 1746 S. Greenwich in Wichita

• Haysville Activity Center, 7106 S. Broadway in Haysville

• Independent Living Resource Center, 3033 W. Second St. in Wichita

• Machinists Union, 3830 S. Meridian in Wichita. (Note: Advance voting at this site on Nov. 3 will be available only from 1 to 4 p.m.)

• Reformation Lutheran Church Parish Hall, 7601 E. 13th St. in Wichita

• Cargill Learning Center at the Sedgwick County Zoo, 5555 Zoo Boulevard in Wichita

• Sharon Baptist Church, 2221 S. Oliver in Wichita

• St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, 2555 Hyacinth in Wichita

• Westlink Church of Christ, 10025 W. Central in Wichita

• Woodlawn United Methodist Church, 431 S. Woodlawn in Derby

I need a ride to the polls. Who should I call? The Wichita chapter of the League of Women Voters will provides rides to the polls to advance voting sites and on Election Day. Call Carole Neal at 316-259-7575.

Sedgwick County’s Democratic Party will provide rides to advance voting sites and on Election Day. Call the party’s headquarters at 316-262-7534.

Sedgwick County’s Republican Party will provide rides only on Election Day, Nov. 6. Call the party’s headquarters at 316-263-0550.

Where can I vote in advance in other counties?

• Vote in person at the Butler County Election Office, 205 W. Central, Suite 205, in El Dorado, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Friday and from 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 5. If you have questions, call 316-322-4229 or 800-822-7119.

• Vote in person at the Harvey County Community Room in the basement of the courthouse, 800 N. Main, Newton. Polls are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday; from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday; and from 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 5. If you have questions, call 316-284-6840.

• Vote in person at the Sumner County Clerk’s Office, 501 N. Washington, Room 101, Wellington, beginning Tuesday. Polls are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday and from 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 5. If you have questions, call 620-326-3395.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs