Log Out | Member Center



Employee who fell at Spirit AeroSystems has died

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Sep. 11, 2012, at 7:08 p.m.
  • Updated Wednesday, Sep. 12, 2012, at 6:42 p.m.

A man who fell during an industrial accident at Spirit AeroSystems on Monday has died, a company spokesman said Tuesday in an e-mailed statement.

The man, who has not been identified, worked for Spirit for more than five years, Ken Evans, senior manager of corporate communications and creative services for Spirit, said in an e-mail.

“We are deeply saddened that one of our team members … has passed away,” Evans said in the e-mail. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family.”

The man, who is about 30, fell 12 feet onto concrete at Spirit, 3801 S. Oliver, shortly before 5:30 p.m. and suffered a skull fracture, Sedgwick County dispatchers told The Eagle on Monday. He was taken to Wesley Medical Center for treatment and later died from his injuries.

Sedgwick County sheriff’s Lt. Mary Mattingly said she expects authorities to release the man’s name Wednesday morning.

Evans said by phone Tuesday that Spirit is working with outside authorities on the case and “hope to wrap up soon.”

He declined further comment, citing an ongoing investigation and employee confidentiality.

“The safety and well-being of our employees is our top priority,” he said by e-mail. “We do not yet know all of the circumstances surrounding the situation and are conducting a thorough investigation.”

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her tweets at www.twitter.com/amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs