Log Out | Member Center

71°F

87°/64°

Pour Haus restaurant fire is an arson

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, August 9, 2012, at 7:53 a.m.
  • Updated Friday, August 10, 2012, at 3:15 p.m.

Photos

A fire that damaged a restaurant in the Delano neighborhood early Thursday morning is an arson, officials said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office have been called in to assist the Wichita Fire Department in the investigation of the fire at the Pour Haus, just east of Seneca on Maple.

The fire was reported at 6:44 a.m., and it took fire crews about half an hour to extinguish.

“They’re going to be closed for a while,” Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said at the scene, where the stench of smoke still clung to the air Thursday afternoon.

The fire appears to have started in the second-floor office, Bevis said. While that is where most of the fire damage is, he said, firefighters had to pull down part of the first-floor ceiling to reach smoldering areas and punch a hole in the roof to allow the fire to ventilate.

Smoke and water damage is pretty extensive in the building, Bevis said, because all the water used to douse the fire upstairs came down to the ground floor.

Damage was estimated at $70,000 to the building and its contents.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs