Fire damaged a duplex in southeast Wichita on Thursday night, authorities said, but no injuries were reported.
The fire was reported just before 8:10 p.m. in the 900 block of South Enoch, which is just south of Lincoln and just west of Rock Road, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. Fire crews arriving at the scene two minutes later found fire on the roof of the duplex.
They were able to extinguish the fire in 12 minutes and kept it from penetrating the interior of the structure. Damage was primarily limited to a back deck and siding.
Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said the fire was caused by careless smoking on the back deck — cigarette butts had been tossed into a plastic pot on the back deck. Damage was set at $10,000.
No injuries were reported, and the Red Cross was not alerted to assist displaced residents.