Carrol McHenry's friend Jim Warren left him his prized 1923 Dodge Brothers business coupe with one request -- that he take care of it and continue to show it at car shows. It's a commitment McHenry takes seriously.
McHenry's slick 1951 Chevy pickup often serves as the tow vehicle for the old Dodge. Powered by a 3.1 liter Buick V-6, the truck has adequate power to haul the 2,600 pound coupe to shows within a 75-mile radius of El Dorado; a more modern heavy duty pickup is used for longer road trips.
Producing a whopping 24 horsepower, the 1923 Dodge was powered by a 212 cubic inch flathead 4-cylinder engine. A chain drive on the front of the engine powered both a water pump and the distributor on the passenger side of the engine, and a combination 12-volt starter/generator on the driver's side.
Simple, but luxurious, the leather-covered bench seat provides adequate room for two occupants of the Dodge coupe. The gear shift uses a reverse shifter pattern to allow extra knee room in the cozy interior.
The 1923 Dodge carries the distinctive Dodge Brothers emblem and motometer radiator cap, which still functions. Although both of the Dodge Brothers died in 1920, the independent company bearing their name built its own line of cars from 1914 through 1928, when the brand was acquired by Chrysler.
McHenry believes the 12-spoke wooden wheels on the car were originally painted black, but says his friend Jim Warren spent hours stripping the paint off to show the beautiful wood finish beneath. A close look reveals the big band-style rear drum brakes behind the spokes.
Originally powered by an inline 6-cylinder engine, McHenry's 1951 Chevy pickup now gets its get-up-and-go from this 3.1 Liter Buick V-6, which tucks into the engine bay with room to spare. A Turbo 350 automatic transmission sends power back to a later model GM rear end.