Print This Article The Wichita Eagle Back to web version
Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sedgwick County received more than 400 fireworks complaints over the Fourth of July

By Sarah Tucker
The Wichita Eagle

The non-emergency line set up for fireworks complaints received 406 calls over the July 4 holiday, a dispatch official told Sedgwick County commissioners Wednesday.

Randy Bargdill, director of Sedgwick County Emergency Communications, told commissioners that during the same time last year, the 911 system processed 353 calls dealing with fireworks complaints.

On a regular day, the 911 system receives about 1,400 calls. During the 27-hour period from midnight July 4 to 3 a.m. July 5, the lines received 2,718 calls, including emergency and non-emergency calls, Bargdill said.

During the last nine hours, the non-emergency line was staffed and fielded 377 fireworks complaints, or about 42 calls per hour, Bargdill said. That’s more than the 302 calls received during the same period last year, but last year’s calls came in on the 911 lines.

"This provided tremendous relief to the 911 system itself," he said.

Bargdill said he hopes to staff the non-emergency line over New Year’s Eve, the second-busiest night of the year after July 4.

Reach Sarah Tucker at stucker@wichitaeagle.com.

© 2012 Wichita Eagle and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kansas.com