With many people going back to school in an effort to find work, state schools are making it easy to return to the classroom.
Many statewide schools offer classes for those in the Wichita area, allowing students access to the classroom without the travel or move to main campuses.
“We have five statewide locations outside of our main campus,” said Meg McGranaghan, director of El Dorado-based Butler Community College’s online learning. “They include Andover, Rose Hill, McConnell, Marion and Council Grove.”
Bigger schools like the University of Kansas and Kansas State University are working with smaller area schools such as Butler and Cowley College to offer degree completion programs without having to travel to Manhattan or Lawrence.
Here’s a look at what’s new at some of the Wichita-area satellite campuses:
Wichita location: 3450 N. Rock Road, building 400
• Offers: Associate’s of Arts in Business, Bachelor of Business Administration and several master’s degrees. These degrees are open to only Baker students seeking to finish these programs entirely away from the main campus.
• What’s new: Baker hopes to open up the building to classes for students who are looking to take independent undergraduate classes such as speech and psychology. A new health care degree program will be launched next month.
• Number of students: Around 500 students attend the Wichita campus.
• For more information, visit www.bakeru.edu.
Butler Community College
McConnell Air Force Base location: Education Center building 412
• Offers: Classes for active duty personnel to continue their education, as well as civilians. Location offers the same general education courses and certification programs with smaller class sizes.
• For more information, call 316-681-3522 or visit www.butlercc.edu.
Mulvane location: 430 E. Main
• Offers: Offerings include Emergency Medical Technician and certified medication aide classes, as well as Wichita State University elementary education courses. They also offer a select range of general education classes. The Career and Tech center in Mulvane offers welding and automotive programs.
• For more information, visit www.cowley.edu/mulvane.
Hutchinson Community College
Newton location: 203 E. Broadway, Suite 200
• Offers: General education courses and programs for welding and machine technology.
• For more information, call 316-283-7000.
Southwestern College has locations in east and west Wichita, as well as at McConnell Air Force Base.
• Offers: A variety of programs that are both online and traditional courses. master’s in business, as well as education with a major in special education are offered, along with many bachelor’s degree programs. These classes meet one night a week, with majority of the coursework online.
• For more information, visit www.southwesterncollege.org or call 1-888-684-5335.
Wichita location: 7348 W. 21st St.
• Offers: Complete bachelor’s in nursing, business and Christian ministry, as well as master’s in business and education.
• For more information, visit www.tabor.edu.