McConnell & Planeview, Planeview community (lower right) was built under federal guidelines in 1943 to provide housing for defense workers arriving to find employment in the aircraft companies. Hilltop Manor and Beechwood were similar developments. In 1951, adjacent land belonging to the Municipal Airport was converted into an Air Force Base. The "tent city" (above left) provided early, temporary housing for Air Force personnel.
Collection of the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum