Going into the shortest days of the year ahead of the beginning of winter on Wednesday, the Wichita area is bright with Christmas lights. From over-the-top displays to simple solitary evergreens dotted with multicolored bulbs, the spirit of the season is evident in yards, on house and at businesses.
Keep your eyes on side streets, shop windows, neighborhoods you don’t normally visit and country roads for surprises. Sometimes it’s worth stopping the car and rolling down the window to appreciate a humble display in the fresh, cold night air, or getting out of the car to take a walk down some blocks that are well-Christmas-lighted.
Here are a few postcard shots from around town, along with a list of some of the sights that we and our readers think are worth seeing. Also see photos of some of the places at Kansas.com. If you’d like to add to the list, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or add your address and upload a photo at Kansas.com.
There’s also a website, yulefinder.com, that has photos and addresses of Christmas lights sights, along with the ability to find lights in certain parts of town and to plot your own tour. People can also add their own photos and addresses, which automatically go on the site’s map. The site was started last year by digital ad agency COLAB Digital, with help from OneUp Interactive, said Ryan Cole of COLAB.
West of downtown
• 7507 W. Barrington, near 21st and Ridge
• Candy Cane lane, 1000 block of Azure Circle in west Wichita
• Delano clock tower and The Garage, at Sycamore and Douglas
• Bungalow 26 window, 613 W. Douglas in Delano
• Lights on St. Paul, Douglas and St. Paul
• 1462 N. Coolidge
• 55th North and Charles Street
East of downtown
• 531 E. MacArthur Road
• 2835 E. Funston
• Kitchen & Bath Gallery window, 2823 E. Douglas
• A&M Superior Upholstery window, 106 N. Hillside
• 100 through 400 blocks of South Fountain, especially the flying pigs at 433
• Forum Theatre, 147 S. Hillside
• 100 block of North Pershing
• 620 N. Stratford Lane
• 626 Courtleigh
• 8 Hampton, Eastborough (is that a giant bear? Yes, it is.)
• Heartspring, 8700 E. 29th St. North
• 10813 SW Tawakoni Road, a park-like acreage just west of Parks in Augusta
• 2602 E. Elk Run Court, Park City