Log Out | Member Center



Damage to Heritage Restaurant could top $100,000

  • Published Friday, Feb. 18, 2011, at 3:12 p.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011, at 6:14 a.m.

WICHITA — Fire heavily damaged the Heritage Restaurant and an adjacent night club this afternoon.

Wichita fire marshal Brad Crisp said no one had been reported injured in the fire that erupted just after 3 p.m. at 4551 S. Broadway.

"We initially reported it as a second alarm fire, in the event things turned south," Crisp said.

Firefighters, however, were able to extinguish the blaze in about 20 minutes.

Crisp said there was one person inside the Heritage when the fire started. There were several customers in Club Deb Ricks next door.

"They were quickly evacuated," Crisp said.

Crews were still trying to secure the building this afternoon, so investigators could enter and begin to find out what started the blaze and the extent of the damage.

Initial estimates put the cost of the damage at around $100,000, the fire marshal said.

"I don't anticipate this business being back open anytime soon," Crisp said.

The Heritage Restaurant has consistently been the state's largest seller of Kansas Lottery tickets.

Reach Ron Sylvester at 316-268-6514 or rsylvester@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs