View of original City Hall, known popularly as the "City Building," located on the southeast corner of Main and William Streets; "Mayor's Office" painted on third floor window. Presently houses the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum. Original Central Fire Station at left, and Wichita Eagle building at far left, corner of Market and William Streets.
Young boy identified as John Reed posed with a high-wheel bicycle. Note that the pedals are attached directly to the front wheel. The wheels became larger as manufacturers realized that the larger the wheel, the farther the cyclist could travel with one rotation.
Mike Zimmerly was in the process of building the Zimmerly building when he died in 1887. His wife saw his dream fulfilled by overseeing the completion of the building. It was completed in 1888. Architects were Dumont and Hayward. This building later became known as the Winnie Building. This was in the 200 block of East Douglas, north side. 1889
This is a photo of an unidentified family standing in front of
their sod house near Norcatur, Decatur County, Kansas. There is a
windmill in view which was used to get water from the ground. Date:
Between 1880 and 1889
Built on the far west side of Wichita at 415 West 2nd Street. The building was never completed due to the end of the economic boom of the 1880s. The business failed, no watches were ever manufactured, building was later abandoned. 1888