Mr. Gray's Ledger: missing ledger
Subject: Happy Valley School
Happy Valley School opened in 1880 and stood on two acres of land 4 1/2 miles northeast of St. John in Section 14 of St. John Township. As many as 50 students attended the school at any one time. The original building was torn down in 1924 and replaced by a modern schoolhouse. It closed in 1960. Lisa Fatzer wrote in the St. John News, April 11, 1990: "Today, nothing marks the location of where Happy Valley School stood. The milo field there is flat; no visible traces of a foundation mar the horizon. The wind rustles through the dry milo stubble, and a meadowlark sings from a nearby fence post. Our feet leave deep, sinking prints in the soft sand -- footprints, which like the old schoolhouse, are so easily erased by both the passing of time and the sweep of the Kansas wind."
Photo No. 2830
Location: St. John Township, Stafford County