Mr. Gray's Ledger: Elsie & Lela Scott
Subject: Elsie O. & Lela May Scott
Date: July 1910
Elsie Scott (1889-1981) and Lela Scott (1889-1962) were twins, two of 17 children of John and Julia Scott. John and Julia were both ex-slaves who migrated to Stafford County after the Civil War and homesteaded near St. John. Elsie graduated St. John High School in 1910 and Lela in 1913. According to Re-Echo 1887-1987, Elsie received her Master's Degree in teaching in 1940 and taught for 20 years at Vashon High School in St. Louis, Mo. Lela was "a personal maid to a movie star." They are both buried at Fairview Park Cemetery in St. John.
Photo No. 1724
Location: St. John