Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013
Posted on Fri, Mar. 06, 2009
What to do after a tornado strikes
After the tornado, follow these steps:
- Keep your family together and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
- Carefully render aid to those who are injured.
- Stay away from power lines and puddles with wires in them; they may still be carrying electricity.
- Watch your step to avoid broken glass, nails and other sharp objects.
- Stay out of any heavily damaged houses or buildings; they could collapse at any time.
- Do not use matches or lighters, in case of leaking natural gas pipes or fuel tanks nearby.
- Remain calm and alert, and listen for information and instructions from emergency crews or local officials.
Source: National Weather Service
© 2009 Wichita Eagle and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kansas.com